Youth can hunt with adult mentors during several organized youth hunting opportunities coming up this fall. For some hunts, application deadlines are approaching.
Application forms and more information can be found at www.mndnr.gov/discover , or by calling the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Information Center, 651-296-6157 or 888-646-6367 , or Mike Kurre, DNR mentoring program coordinator, 651-259-5193 .
Youth waterfowl hunt
- For ages 12 to 15.
- Orientation is Friday, Sept. 12, hunt is Saturday, Sept. 13.
- Hunts near Twin Cities metro, Detroit Lakes, Morris, Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge near Princeton, Sherburn near Windom, and Fergus Falls.
- Apply by Monday, Aug. 11.
Youth deer hunts at refuges and state parks
- Ages 12 to 15 in 15 firearms hunts, ages 12 to 17 in two archery hunts.
- Hunts and orientations held on various dates in October and November.
- Locations at specific wildlife refuges and state parks throughout the state.
- Apply by Friday, Aug. 15.
Youth and family upland bird hunt
- For ages 12 to 17, and family members who want to hunt together.
- Hunts and orientations are Saturday, Oct. 18.
- Locations throughout Minnesota.
- Apply by Tuesday, Sept. 2.
Youth deer season
- For ages 10 to 15.
- Season is Thursday, Oct. 16 through Sunday, Oct. 19.
- Permit areas in southeastern and northwestern Minnesota and portions of the Twin Cities metro area.
- Twenty-seven deer permit areas are open to hunt, see hunting regulations book or DNR hunting page at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/deer for permit areas.