Yesterday, I shared a recipe for Italian Meatballs and I told you that they make great meatball subs the next day. But, here's a different take...Meatball Patty Melts With a Balsamic Marinara Ketchup.
Balsamic Marinara Ketchup: You're Gonna Love This!
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Crushed basil leaves
For The Patty Melts:
- Flattened Meatballs
- 8 slices crusty bread
- 8 slices mozzarella
- 8 slices provolone
- Garlic Butter
- Sauteed red onions
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the tomato paste, beef stock and garlic. Add in the tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, oregano and red pepper. Bring to a slow boil then reduce heat. Stir in the basil and then let cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Make the ketchup:
Make the burgers:
Heat a grill pan or an outdoor grill over medium high heat. Drizzle olive oil over the meatballs and then cook, turning once, until heated, about 5 minutes.
In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Brush the outsides of each slice of bread with the garlic butter. Build four sandwiches, with the buttered sides facing out. Layer each with some of the Balsamic Marinara Ketchup, mozzarella, meatball, provolone, and more ketchup. Place the burgers on the griddle and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. I'm telling you, THIS is heaven melting in your mouth! Enjoy.
Photo courtesy of pointnshoot - Creative Commons License 2.0